Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Chapter 14: Symbolic Interactionism

As I review Newman's text, I am drawn to a number of ideas and issues which were presented in such a way as to give the reader a nuanced understanding of them. I directed my attention specifically towards the first few chapters, seeing as they set a foundation for the remainder of the text. In Chapter 2, Newman introduces three perspectives on social order: the structural-functionist perspective, the conflict perspective, and the perspective which I found to be most enlightening, symbolic interactionism (Newman, 46).

Newman goes on to describe symbolic interactionism as a method which “explains society and social structure through an examination of the micro level, personal, day-to-day exchanges of people as individuals, pairs, and groups” (Newman, 52).

I was further intrigued by this perspective as I began reading about the social construction of knowledge, and ultimately, reality in Chapter 3. Though understanding the nature of reality is a lofty goal, symbolic interactionism aids in the journey by explaining reality as resulting from various causes and consequences (Newman, 58). Furthermore, its proponents suggest that our definition of reality is shaped by our interactions with other beings and that this personal vision of reality then serves as a foundation for each interaction we have, as well as our interpretations of life events.

Two Different Realities

One fundamental reason I was attracted to this perspective is that it applies to my every-day life. I can apply the theory in the form of a lens through which to see the world: each interaction, perception and reaction I have. The reality viewed through a symbolic interactionist perspective is drastically different than the reality viewed passively, or even subconsciously.

Whenever I am in a setting that involves myself and one or more individuals, I can begin to examine societal workings on a micro scale. Now, each time I wave at someone, I realize how easy it is to take for granted that the person I am interacting with understands my gesture. Whenever I make a reference to “going green,” I realize that I am contributing to the reality of the green movement, a larger conception of what constitutes reality. Furthermore, the perspective has shed light on the number of symbols in our society which, without shared understanding, would lead to severe difficulties in societal functioning – think stop signs, or the bio-hazard symbol!

Why Bother Putting These Lenses On?

theosophywatch.wordpress.com
The symbolic interactionist perspective is incredibly valuable in our daily interactions. It has allowed me to realize my role in the construction of what we collectively consider to be real, and how others incessantly influence my own conception of reality.

It is meaningful for me to understand reality in this new way. Questions of reality are timeless- Plato's allegory of the cave, depicted above, serves as a great example. Thus, I have found it important to keep an open mind about this experience we know as reality, and I am always keen to discover a new way of perceiving, and making sense of it. The symbolic interactionist model has allowed me to do so.

Sources:
Newman, David (2012). Sociology: Exploring the Architecture of Everyday Life: 9th Edition. SAGE Publications. 
http://theosophywatch.com/2012/10/08/the-monkey-trap/

1 comment:

  1. Good job. I was also interested in this topic. It is nice to have something to apply to our everyday life so we can relate to it more and apply sociological thinking.

    ReplyDelete